Originally known as Weogufka Regional Park, today, Weogufka State Forest encompasses 240 acres including Flagg Mountain in Coosa County, Alabama. The park was constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) during the Great Depression. As part of Roosevelt’s New Deal, the CCC was the first Federal relief program created, the longest running (1933-1942), and the most successful. Unemployed men, especially from urban areas, enrolled in the CCC and were paid, clothed, and housed for their labor. The Weogufka Regional Park project was one of the earliest CCC projects within Alabama. The park was constructed between 1933 and 1936 by CCC Company 260 and Company 4498. The work of these men had a sense of lasting importance, as their efforts were “being expended to construct lasting land marks, and scenic centers for vacationist to enjoy for years to come.” These lasting land marks are still present today in the form of log and stone masonry cabins, as well as the 170 ft tall stone Observation Tower that crowns the summit of Flagg Mountain.
The University of Alabama’s Office of Archaeological Research (OAR), in coordination with the University of Alabama Center for Economic Development, Alabama Forestry Commission, and the Alabama Trails Foundation have been working to list Weogufka State Forest to the National Register of Historic Places. Over the last six months, Architectural Historian Rosalie Pearson has been researching and compiling a history of Weogufka State Forest, including the architecture of the park structures, and the life of the CCC enrollees.
Join us on May 24th at 5:30 pm as we explore the history of the CCC and the construction and architecture of Weogufka State Forest.
(register below and you will receive an email with the link to the webinar in advance of the program)
Rosalie Gorecki Pearson received her B.A. in Ancient Near Eastern Antiquities in 2004 and her M.A. in Religious Studies in 2007, both from Missouri State University, Springfield, Missouri. She currently works as an Architectural Historian with the University of Alabama Office of Archaeological Research in Moundville, Alabama. Mrs. Pearson has performed Architectural surveys and analysis in Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi, as well as on the island of St. Croix in the United States Virgin Islands (USVI). She has written and submitted Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) documentation on Lake Purdy Dam, located in Shelby County, Alabama and has conducted documentation of historic structures throughout the Southeast.